A few months ago for my birthday, my husband bought me a pasta maker– and I love it. We’ve since made loads of spaghetti and fettuccine, and today we made ravioli. (Note: this can be made without a pasta maker, by using a rolling pin instead).
For the dough:
3 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
Between 1/2-3/4 cup warm water (depending how dry your dough is)
Mix the flour and salt, and place the mixture on a cutting board (or a very clean counter)- make a hole in the middle of the flour mixture.
Crack both eggs into the hole; using a fork, beat the eggs slightly.
Gradually combine the eggs and flour together, and slowly add enough water to create a stuff dough.
Knead the dough until it’s no longer lumpy, then cover and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Cut the dough into 1/4ths to make it easier to work with. With each 1/4th, run it through the flattening side of your pasta maker- starting at the widest setting. On the widest setting, go through 2-3 times, folding it over the first 2 times. Go through the following settings twice, until you get to the 2nd thinnest.
For the filling:
1 tbsp oil
2 8oz packages of spinach
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
1/4 tsp salt
Pat the spinach down with a paper towel, to remove some liquid. Chop the cooked spinach and then add it to a bowl with both ricotta & Parmesan cheese and salt.
- On the flattened dough, place about 1 tbsp of filling on the dough for each ravioli piece, leaving some room in the middle.
- Using a pastry brush, brush water on the pasta, in order to fold over the pasta to stick (note: you can’t see the other half of the pasta that will fold on top of this piece.
- Fold over the pasta to create ravioli, push down the edges around each individual ravioli. Cut them with a pizza cutter and then repeat the above steps with the other 3 quarters of dough.
- Time to cook! Drop them in water at a low boil- cook time will take approximately 3 minutes (we did this in 3 shifts).
- Cover them in whatever sauce seems fit- we topped with roasted garlic & Parmesan tomato sauce & more Parmesan cheese. ENJOY!